On Tuesday, May 4th, the Choir Boosters held their final meeting of the school year in the choir room at 7:00 PM. Minutes from the meeting are now online. Items discussed included: Election of Officers, Senior biographies and pictures, Choir Banquet, Spring Concert, Tux Shop Coupons, Susan Emig Scholarship, U of I visit, Costume Cleaning, Choir Camp, Choir Potluck, revision of booster bylaws, coupon books, and program ad sales. Thank you to all the choir booster parents who have spent time assisting our organization over the past year.
MHS CHOIR BOOSTERS
MEETING MINUTES - 5/4/2004
Dave Festa, president, called the meeting to order at 7:08 PM.
Minutes from the April 13, 2004 meeting were read by Debbie Nieman and accepted with one change: The spring concert proceeds will go not to the choir boosters fund, but to the choir fund (to pay for supplies for the concert).
- Beginning balance of checking account was $2,534.57.
- Checking account activity: Reimburse Mr. Emig for hotel fees from Chicago trip (-$557), Messiah Concert Deposits (+$636.75)
- The current balance of the checking account is $2,614.32.
- There was no activity on the Susan Emig Scholarship Fund Savings Account; its current balance is $2,742.42.
- Senior biographies, senior pictures, and baby pictures are due! Some seniors who were unable to bring in a photograph had their pictures taken by Mr. Emig. Please turn in any missing bios/photos immediately or your daugher/son will be omitted from the spring program.
- Banquet News
- Please RSVP for the banquet by the 21st.
- Tickets will cost $18 (same as last year), and seniors are admitted for free.
- Spring Concert Only in America
- All boosters members were asked to assist with set construction, if possible. Set construction dates/times are:
Please come to the stage loading dock door (between entrances I and J). For more information on what's planned for the spring concert, look at the concert planning page.
- Friday, May 14th, 3:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Saturday, May 15th, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- While not performing on-stage, students will watch the concert from the choir room.
- Student rehearsals will occur on Tuesday the 18th and Wednesday the 19th, following our usual schedule of 3PM-5PM for Varsity and Concert choirs and 6PM-9PM for Choralteens and Velveteens.
- Flowers for the spring concert
- Carnations will be sold in the lobby; Mr. Festa volunteered to run the "flower table," but he still needs additional help.
- Each senior will be presented with a rose after the spring concert; Mrs. Reinhart volunteered to prepare the roses.
- Mrs. Rees volunteered to purchase the carnations and roses.
- Students will be asked to bring in food and pop for the concert: 2nd and 3rd hours should bring in a food item (or items), and 5th and 6th hours should bring in a bottle of pop.
- Committee chairpersons were reminded to contact their members to prepare for the concert.
- Louis' Tux Shop Coupons - 100 coupons were handed out, and they are appearing occasionally at the shop
- Susan Emig Scholarship - There was only one application, and the 3-person review board will arrange a date to meet with this student. The scholarship recipient will be announced at the Choir Banquet.
- Election of Officers - no further nominations were made, so no voting occurred, as all positions had only one nominee. The 2004-2005 choir booster officers are:
- President - Dave Festa
- Vice President - Eleanor Naglosky
- Treasurer - Debbie Nieman
- Secretary - Debbie Elser
- A heartfelt thanks was expressed to Dawn Rees (treasurer) and Alex Ternes (secretary) for their service to the choir boosters during the 2003-2004 school year. They will be missed.
- On Monday, May 3rd, the choirs received a visit from a University of Indianapolis choir. Mr. Emig stated that it was an excellent experience for the students and that three MHS students have been offered scholarships from U of I in music. He also mentioned that the director spoke highly of the MHS choral program and expressed an interest in a possible exchange program which might encourage Merrillville graduates to enroll in U of I music programs.
- Costume cleaning following the spring concert was discussed briefly.
- Choir Camp is scheduled for August 16-20 (the week before school), from 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM each day.
- Choir camp costs $50: $25 is due by May 28th and the remaining $25 is due on the first day of camp.
- Any MHS choir students are eligible to participate; last year, somewhere between 35-40 students attended.
- Mrs. Reinhart mentioned that she would like to add handbells to the summer choir camp.
- Mr. Emig will be purchasing 25 blankets ($700) and choir awards ($400-$500) for the banquet, to be funded by the choir boosters
- The "Welcome to Choir" Potluck will be held on September 18th (this is one week later than usual) in the Pierce Middle School Cafetorium (new location this year!). Planning for the potluck will occur at next year's first booster meeting on September 7th.
- The newly-elected officers will be receiving a copy of the choir booster bylaws, which were last revised in 1993. Mr. Festa expressed an interest in updating the bylaws, as many no longer apply.
- Coupon books were discussed as an idea for a fundraiser next year (starting as early as possible). Mrs. Reinhart mentioned the possibility of partnering with other groups selling the books to decrease costs.
- Selling ads for the concert programs next year was also discussed. Order forms will be distributed to students in September. Proceeds from concert program advertisements pay for choir trip fees for the students who sold them.
Mr. Festa expressed his gratitude towards booster members who have taken time to assist the choir this year. He also encouraged everyone to see the dramatic society's production of Romeo and Juliet.
UPCOMING MUSIC DEPARTMENT / CHOIR DATES
- May 7, 2004 @ 7:00 PM - Dramatic Society presents Romeo and Juliet
- May 8, 2004 @ 7:00 PM - Dramatic Society presents Romeo and Juliet
- May 11, 2004 @ 7:00 PM - Band Spring Concert
- May 13, 2004 @ 7:00 PM - Orchestra Spring Concert
- May 20, 2004 @ 7:30 PM - Choir Spring Concert, Only in America
- June 1, 2004 @ 6:00 PM - Choir Banquet (at Turkey Creek Country Club)
- August 16 - 20, 2004 @ 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM - Choir Camp
- September 7, 2004 @ 7:00 PM - Choir Boosters Meeting
- September 18, 2004 @ 5:00 PM - "Welcome to Choir" Potluck (in Pierce Middle School Cafetorium)
This was the final choir boosters meeting for this year. The first meeting next year will be held on September 7th in the choir room at 7:00 PM.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:50 PM.
2004-05-06, 9:50 PM (rev 1.2)